Mission, Vision, Values
Engaging people to strengthen their
lives and communities through research-based educational programming.
OSU Extension is a dynamic educational
entity that partners with individuals, families, communities, business and
industry, and organizations to strengthen the lives of Ohioans.
In Extension, we value:
- Excellence in educational programming.
- Grassroots programs that engage local people in solving
problems and addressing challenges.
- Unbiased research-based information.
- Practical education that helps people help themselves.
- Timely responses to clientele concerns.
- Credibility with clientele and funders.
- Honesty and integrity in our work.
- Teamwork within offices, with clientele, and with our
- Flexibility/adaptability in local programming.
- Programming without discrimination, and employment of people
representing the diverse population of Ohio.
As Extension educators, we:
- Focus on critical economic, environmental, leadership, youth, and family issues.
- Engage people in lifelong learning.
- Apply knowledge and practical research to the diverse needs and interests of Ohioans in rural, suburban, and urban communities.
- Extend resources of The Ohio State University.
- Recruit and develop volunteers to multiply Extension's efforts while developing their leadership potential.
- Enhance teamwork through networking and connectedness.
- Link youth, family, and community needs to scholars in Ohio and nationwide.
- Teach with cutting-edge strategies using new technologies and approaches.
“The thing that impressed me was that the kids said they had a better understanding of what their parents go through. If you want your kids to have the opportunity to walk through your shoes, get them to Real Money, Real World”
North College Hill, Hamilton County
- STEM Pathways programs in science, technology, engineering and math improve participants' curiosity, logical thinking, problem-solving, and team communication - workforce skills necessary to compete in a high-tech global society.
- Live Healthy Live Well lessons educate consumers on nutrition, fitness and other wellness issues, increasing awareness and adoption of healthy lifestyle behaviors and ultimately reducing health care costs.
- Energize Ohio resources and opportunities for renewable energy production, development, marketing, and education are changing the landscape of Ohio.
- Assuring Quality Care for Animals teaches 4-H youth how to use best practices guaranteeing high quality, safe food animal products, and responsible animal handling, care and welfare for companion, performance, and food animals.
- Local Foods are in demand, and increased interest means coordinated strategies are needed to help get more food choices from producers to retail outlets to consumer tables efficiently, safely and cost-effectively.
- Business Retention and Expansion helps communities of all sizes identify strategies that will help local businesses remain profitable and expand.
- Real Money Real World simulates real-life experiences to help make youth aware of money management skills they need to be productive, successful members of society.
- Graduated Signature Programs...
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- With the passage of the 2014 farm bill, which authorizes U.S. agricultural and nutrition programs through 2018, major changes are coming to crop safety net programs, said an economist from Ohio State University’s College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences.