Farm Record Keeping Resources
OSU Extension has developed an Quicken Agricultural Users Manual for farm businesses using Quicken to complete their farm accounting.
The Ohio Commercial Farm Account Book has been the choice of many farm families for decades. Attached are two links for producers to either buy or download for free (Excel)
Click here to access the Ohio State E-Store where you can buy the Ohio Commercial Farm Account Book on-line. This book can also be purchased by visiting your local OSU County Extension office.
Farm Custom Rates
These surveys show what the normal charge is different agricultural services.
- 2022 Ohio Farm Custom Rates
- 2020 Ohio Farm Custom Rates
- 2018 Ohio Farm Custom Rates
- 2016 Ohio Farm Custom Rates
- 2014 Ohio Farm Custom Rates
- 2012 Ohio Farm Custom Rates
Farmers Tax Guides
You are in the business of farming...... if you cultivate,operate, or manage a farm for profit, either as owner or tenant. A farm includes livestock,dairy, poultry, fish, fruit, and truck farms. It also includes plantations, ranches, ranges, and orchards. The Farmer's Tax Guide publication explains how the federal tax laws apply to farming. Producers should use this publication to figure your taxes and complete your farm tax return. Click here to access the IRS Web Site explaining the Tax Law for Farmers.
Ohio Ag Manager
Ohio Ag Manager Newsletter is a monthly newsletter from Ohio State University Extension which discusses current issues in Agricultural cost, labor, grain marketing, energy, estate planning, transitioning the farm to the next generation and other topics.
You can read the blog HERE
Current Agricultural Use Valuation Program
Click here to access a paper written by the Ohio Department of Taxation describing how the CAUV land tax is calculated in Ohio.
Budgeting for Agricultural Enterprises
Transitioning the Farm Business
- Conducting a SWOT Analysis of Your Agricultural Business (pdf only)
- Conducting Successful Family Business Transition Meetings (pdf only)
- Develop a Useful Mission Statement for Your Agricultural Business (pdf only)
- Developing Goals for the Agricultural Business (pdf only)
- Developing the Next Generation of Managers (pdf only)
- Planning for the Successful Transition of Your Agricultural Business (pdf only)
- Starting, Organizing, and Managing an LLC for a Farm Business (pdf only)
- Tax Characteristics of Business Entities Available to Ohio Farmers (pdf only)
- Using Liability Limiting Entities to Manage Liability Exposure for Ohio Farms (pdf only)
- Is a Prenuptial Agreement Right for Your Farm Business? (pdf only)
Whole Farm Planning Model (pdf only)
Estate Planning Fact Sheet Series
A series of fact sheets that covers issues related to estate planning. Click on each link to learn more.
Introduction, EP-1-09 (pdf only)
Costs Involved in Transferring Property, EP-2-09 (pdf only)
Tax Basis if Property Is Transferred, EP-3-09 (pdf only)
Why Have a Will?, EP-4-09 (pdf only)
Letter of Instruction, EP-5-09 (pdf only)
Life Insurance, EP-6-09 (pdf only)
Trusts, EP-7-09 (pdf only)
Giving, EP-8-09 (pdf only)
Sale of Residence, EP-9-09 (pdf only)
Nursing Home Dilemma, EP-10-09 (pdf only)
Medicare and Medigap, EP-11-09 (pdf only)
Miscellaneous Issues, EP-12-09 (pdf only)